DIY Pocahontas necklace

The most iconic thing about Pocahontas is clearly her necklace. In a search around for other Pocahontas costumes, what made them look badly done was a failure to reproduce the necklace from the movie. Lots of attempts, few successes. (Some of the good ones: 1 2 3)




Clearly, the depicted broken necklace is actually impossible, at least when you compare it to the complete necklace. The problem is the placement of the pendant. I considered modeling it exactly after the movie necklace, but that seems like it would take a bit more engineering than I was willing to commit to the project, so I modified the necklace slightly.

Before I had said I would aim to make it look like real turquoise; I didn't end up doing that because I was given some clay for free and I didn't have all the colors necessary. Anyway, getting on with it:

I used a package of white sculpy and a package of turquoise sculpy. The turquoise was a bit darker than I wanted it to be, so I kneaded in some white to lighten it and give it a little bit of depth.

The best way I found to do the necklace was to mold the necklace in full and the bake the large "beads":


To get holes in such large beads, I embedded them with rawhide cording when I was shaping them and then pulled the cord out right before baking. The cord slid out easily and left behind a good sized hole. If the hold got a little squished, it was ok because I was using thinner hemp to actually string the beads:


The pendant was just a chunk of white sculpy. I suspect the pendant is supposed to be a shell with a folded-over lip - a lot of people think that is is painted grey in the center but I'm pretty sure it's just a shadow. I had a hard time baking the white, I found it burnt readily. I used a nail to put the hole in the top of the pendant before baking.


When they came out of the oven, I discovered that the beads could still be cut with a craft knife. I think I may have under-baked them a little, but it's ok; they're hard enough that they don't get scratches on them. The knife left clean lines that didn't collapse the bead hole.


I carefully cut away the beads that would sit next to the pendant so they would lie close together. Then I needed to paint the lighter-colored beads. I decided just painting them with acrylic paint would be easier than molding beads of lighter sculpy. My paint supply isn't well stocked, so I had to combine normal acrylic, fabric paint and Warhammer paint to get my desired color, hehe:



And I added the "clasp" at the end: simply a loop and a wooden bead, so I wouldn't have to tie the necklace off every time. I figured such a clasp would be "accurate" enough.


If I were to do it again I'd be a bit more careful with the beads so the surface was smoother. I would also try to make a faux turquoise rather than the solid color. Lastly I would dedicate the time to getting the pendant right, although I'm not too bothered by that.
With this, my costume is so, so near completion!

1 things about

DIY Pocahontas necklace

Copyright 2012 Phile not Found. See About
Powered by Blogger

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."