My Children's book wishlist

There are three "children's books" I really, really want to own. Grown up books almsot never have cute stories or beautiful illustrations, something I think needs to be rectified, but that's a topic for another day.


"One Wintry Night"
Ruth Bell Graham

I had this book as a child, and while it is heavily Christian (it tells the Christian Christmas story, starting with Adam & Eve) the illustrations were stunning. Absolutely fabulous. I used to sit for hours staring at the pictures, soaking in every minute detail (each illustration has a pill bug hidden in it!). I actually wrote the author (Billy Grahams wife) a letter asking about the illustrations, and she told me they took her years to complete and were done in egg tempera.
You can see a few of the full page illustrations in this blog post, but they aren't large enough to get the full beauty.


"The Little Prince" deluxe pop up edition
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I love The Little Prince, I think it's adorable and sweet. I'm pretty sure I squeaked out loud when I saw the pop up edition - I have a soft spot for pop up books, and this one was particularly well done. The book was a great, hefty hardcover and the illustrations were crisp and colored.


"Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book"
Terry Jones

This is a morbid and hilarious book that I want to have on my coffee table. The premise of the book is that a little girl would go out in her garden with a blank journal and wait until a fairy flew by... then she would slam the covers closed and press the fairy, just like one would press flowers. At some point the fairies realize what's going on and start having competitions to make the silliest faces and poses. The illustrations, again, are beautiful and silly.
This is, technically, not a children's book (due to nudity and the odd story itself) but many people don't realize it.

2 things about

My Children's book wishlist
  1. I have seen the squashed fairy one, although I haven't read it. It looks hilarious though!

    The art on that first one really is amazing. Children's book art is actually quite amazing in some cases. There was a time in my life where that was what I wanted to do. However, it is pretty competitive, and I am not that good, lol. I do still have a big appreciation for it.

    I have never heard of The Little Prince, but it looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that children's books illustrations were competitive. :O There's so many; I was in the kids section at the book store (looking for a book for my sister) and I kept being like, "I want this book for me!" because so many of them were just plain beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2012 Phile not Found. See About
Powered by Blogger

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."