There are no words...

We sit, fascinated, horrified, terrified, concerned... a natural disaster on the other side of the world has us entranced. I feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car: I don't know what to do, other than watch and hope. So many people missing, so much destruction, the threat of more devastation from unstable nuclear reactors, from fires and explosions.

What can we do? We are so far removed from Japan, from the Pacific rim... It feels like the world should have stopped, that it should have dropped everything and turned focus on the most recent natural disaster. It always feels that way. But it isn't so - we still have to eat, and sleep and work; we go to movies and shopping and we play online. I sit in a Boston Pizza, four hours from home, and I blog about code. It's a paradox I often struggle with - the lives of so many people touched, changed, ruined or simply ended... and mine continues along, unaffected. I feel great empathy and concern, but it's directed at a faceless, nameless entity: "everyone who has been affected by the recent Tsunami". What can I do with that, how do I focus it?

I can send my best wishes, but however sincere they are - however much hope, concern and empathy I have - they are naught but words... it doesn't seem significant enough.

4 things about

There are no words...
  1. It's hard to watch. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could help... but at this point, there isn't much we CAN do. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is definitely a feeling of hopelessness when watching the disaster. it's so sad. we with big hearts feel it the most

    ReplyDelete
  4. We CAN do something. Even if it's just $20 donated, these people need temporary shelter, medical aid, food...the basic necessities we are fortunate not to have to worry about ourselves. For a list of several organizations currently taking a proactive stance in Japan click here www.cnn.com/impact feel free to browse the different organizations on this list and donate if you feel like it.
    xo
    Candice

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2012 Phile not Found. See About
Powered by Blogger

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."