In sickness and in health

'til death do us part...

Oops, I guess I kind of screwed up on that part of blogging, didn't I?

After moving, I was concentrated on getting unpacked and settled in. All my routines got totally screwed, especially since we subscribed to Netflix and my best friend now lives a couple blocks away. I'd been spending very little time on the computer, and was finding it difficult to sit down and write.

Oh, and then I went to the hospital.

Three days of fever and mild abdominal pain turned out to be a kidney infection! Hurray. I was admitted to the hospital Sunday afternoon and was released Tuesday night at around 10:30. The doctor originally wanted me to stay another night for more IV antibiotics, but I "persuaded" him to let me out early. (I may have burst into tears.)

The hospital stay was bad. Pretty sure I have a fear of them now. My roommate was an elderly lady who (they think) had Alzheimer's... she was quiet most of the time, but when she got agitated she could be loud. But that wasn't what really bothered me - it was the care she (didn't) receive. I know hospitals are understaffed and blah blah blah, but that's no excuse for how they (didn't) treat some of the patients.

Her basic needs were met - medication and cleaning - but nothing else. She didn't eat unless her husband was there to feed her; I'm quite certain she couldn't feed herself, but the staff would just leave a tray of food in front of her and then leave. The last night I was there, she was left strapped into her chair, slouched over with her forehead on her tray, covered in water she had spilled, for over an hour and a half before someone checked on her. At half past midnight. They didn't get her into bed until one o'clock. I guess the nurses were doing more important things, like standing at the nurses' station and loudly giggling and talking. And then they kept talking about how she "hadn't slept for days," and I'm thinking, it's not like it's her fault.

It wasn't very good for me, either. I kept getting fevers (and accompanying chills, headache and muscle aches) because some of the nurses wouldn't give me Tylenol unless I already had a high temperature. And it's not like they checked my temperature on a regular basis - only when I called for it because I was getting uncomfortable.

Both nights I had nightmares, was overly emotional, and had really paranoid thoughts. The second night they wouldn't let T stay because "I was feeling better." (Turns out the antibiotic I am on can cause nightmares and psychosis!) On the third day, my nurse wouldn't let T sit with me in the bed and hold me because "it made people uncomfortable" - that was basically the last straw for me. I begged to be let out early.

And dear lord, I feel so much better at home.

3 things about

In sickness and in health
  1. Whoah! I was just wishfully thinking that you were busy making your first million. Be well. Enjoy some Netflix.

    My only experience with Canadian hospitals was when my middle son was born just outside of Ottawa. Hardly a basis for gross comparison, but my lasting perception was that it was a pretty spartan arrangement. But then, our health care system will be the end of our country so maybe I should have drawn a different lesson from the experience. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty clear that the hospitals are there to provide medical care, not general care. I mean, they will go fetch you blankets, water, etc if you can't easily get out of bed, but in general they're very stretched for time. And the care of Alzheimer's patients is the same at all hospitals; my grandfather is in a different hospital and it's the same deal.

      Delete
  2. holy fuck a kidney infection!?!?! you poor soul.

    sorry you had a bad hospital experience. it's getting so much worse, even here.

    something has gotta give. people deserve to be helped.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2012 Phile not Found. See About
Powered by Blogger

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."