Curiosity

It was 1:30AM, and we were sitting in our living room with a friend, staring at each other blankly. "So, uh, what do we do now?" we asked each other.

"Weeellll, the Mars rover lands in an hour. I guess we could stream that and play Minecraft?"

Up to this point I had been aware of the Curiosity landing in much the same way that I was aware of the Olympics. It was neat because it's a big event that happens only every few years, and it showcased a large amount of talent. I was interested in a sort of vague, "Yay engineering!" kind of way, but didn't care too much.

I figured the stream would make neat background noise while I did some mining.

But I quickly became glued to the video - the fantastic details of Curiosity's flight and descent were far more interesting than I had previously thought. "ROCKET PARACHUTE!!" is what I screamed when the video showed a simulation of Curiosity's landing, "MOTHERFUCKING ROCKET PARACHUTE!" My Minecraft Steve stood inside his blocky villa, holding his pickaxe, abandoned. You can't compete with rocket parachutes.

During the 7 Minutes of Terror we sat in silence and I chewed my nails. "There's no way this is going to work," I said. "They're right on time, though," said T, glancing at the clock. "They're fucking NASA, of course they're on time," was my half-serious response.

There was silence. Tension. More silence and tension. Then the control room exploded into cheering.


The landing had been a success. A few moments later - "We have thumbnails!" and even more cheering, as we all saw a low-res, blurry, black-and-white picture of some dirt.


It felt amazing. The excitement of those folks at NASA was completely contagious. I kept the stream on until I went to bed, listening to all the details. The landing was more than successful - it was practically flawless.

I think, though, what I liked most about the stream were these two fellows:

Photo of a NASA engineer who has his hair styled in a mohawk with blue and red highlights. On the side of his skull are two yellow stars.

Photo of an older, male NASA engineer with shoulder-length grey hair

I think it's a credit to technical and scientific fields that folks with unconventional appearances or hair styles can still be taken seriously. These job positions are quite prestigious and well-respected, and yet having a mohawk or being a male with long hair doesn't affect people's faith in your ability to do a job. Which, of course, is common sense - why should your hair affect your work? Why is it that people considering tattoos, piercings or hairstyles are told to consider their ability to get hired?

I really do love the engineering community for the fact that no shits are given. My fiancee T, as you may recall, is a scrawny long-haired boy, and yet he commands a tremendous amount of respect from his peers and supervisors because of his engineering ability. The guys above put a rover on Mars. They are just as capable with their fancy hair as they would be with more traditional cuts. Engineering and scientific fields are definitely ahead of the curve on this one, and it makes me proud.

4 things about

Curiosity
  1. Hi there, Sam! Haha, I'm a new follower. I love their triumphant cheering and joy. I feel bad I was never updated with this news. Those guys at NASA did a fantastic job and created this new milestone in science. Great job.

    And I love those two dudes as well. Haha. Most people think that guys with cool hairstyles are like musicians or graphic designers or whatever, and they think of scientists as the ones with clean haircuts, so I like how those two scientists/engineers got their face out there and showed people that scientists can also have like, style on their heads. I agree with you, hair should not affect work. As a science major, I've always been advised by my mom to always get clean-looking cuts, but those things bore me. Sometimes I like growing my hair long, and I want to get piercings. Right now I cut my hair short on the sides and long at the front. Like I'm not going to get kicked out because of that as long as I don't fail my subjects. In school, no shits are given, although it freaks my mom out whenever I tell her I'm getting a new piercing. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you're right about school just not caring... Uni/college is far less controlling than high school. You can pretty much look like whatever you want, and as long as the work gets done they don't care. (Within the limits of what's legal, of course)

      Though, in science and engineering, most people managed to be distinctly geeky. It was kind of funny watching the makeup of the crowd change as you walked across campus toward the engie and science buildings. It's hard to put a finger on it, but you can tell who's a gee from a mile away. :P

      Delete
  2. That was a pretty amazing moment. You captured the emotions that many of us watching at home were experiencing, perfectly. I'm a "space geek" and I love this kind of stuff, but I was amazed at how this seemed to grab the attention of so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also surprised how many people got so excited. I mean, it's not the first time we've landed on Mars.... though I guess it's been nearly a decade since the last rovers, so most of the people getting excited may not have even been aware of the earlier rovers. I know I didn't pay any attention to Opportunity and Spirit!

      Delete

Copyright 2012 Phile not Found. See About
Powered by Blogger

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."